TANAUAN CITY, Batangas — Hundreds of individuals turned up on Sunday for the memorial service of Antonio Halili, this current city’s mayor once known as “Little Digong,” for his hard stance on crime.
Under cloudy skies and a light drizzle, Halili, 72, was laid to rest after a final public viewing of the mayor’s remains at City Hall.
Halili’s family wore white, but numerous individuals wore yellow shirts set apart with messages calling for justice.
Halili was killed last Monday as he led city employees in singing the national hymn amid flag-raising rites in front of before City Hall.
President Rodrigo Duterte prior said Halili was engaged with the narcotics trade, the reason the mayor was stripped of his control over the local police a year ago.
Halili’s family and associates have denied the allegation.
Batangas Gov. Hermilando Mandanas and the Tanauan City Council gave Halili a posthumous award for his excellent work as local chief executive.
This was previously Halili’s grandchildren sang a cappella Bon Jovi’s “Bed of Roses”— their grandfather’s favorite song.
“You were taken away from us. [You were] a strong person in every aspect of life. I will do my best to give you justice,” said Halili’s daughter, Angeline, 45.
Halili’s widow, Gina, described the killed mayor as honorable and loving not only to his family as well as to his constituents. The police gave Halili a 21-firearm salute as the Philippine flag was hung over his gold coffin.
The true story behind the viral wedding photograph of a couple with the erupting Mayon Volcano has been finally revealed.
Earlier, the photos of a newly-wed couple with the erupting Mayon Volcano spread like a wildfire online after it was posted on social media.
The couple was identified as Maica Nicerio and Arlo Dela Cruz, despite the suggestion to postpone their big day because of the dangerous situation of the volcano, pursue their dream wedding.
The two met each other in a summer class amid their college days wherein they fall in love with each other a couple of months after they met.
Like other relationship they experience arguments and lover’s quarrel.
In 2015, Maica traveled to Netherland for a cultural exchange program, which lasted a year. While Arlo, haven’t say goodbye to his girlfriend because it coincides his first day of training as a firefighter.
Arlo shares that trust and communication were the keys to their long-lasting relationship.
In July 2017, Arlo proposed to Maica and carefully planned for their wedding, which landed on January 25, 2018 (Thursday).
Arlo and Maica pursue their wedding ceremony and the erupting Mayon Volcano did not prevent them to tie the knot.
He said the main escape from everything is for him to quit.
“The only way to escape is to quit. But I am not quitting. And quitting is not good because I have a covenant with the people. I have an agreement with the people, that I have to serve you for six years,” he said.
Duterte said he is happy that God heard his prayers particularly now that he is the top official of the land.
“I prayed for guidance especially I am not at the helm. I am the captain of the ship. I am here to serve my people,” he said.
He said he hopes to accomplish all that he promised with the assistance of the people. “But really all I need is a little patience.”
Duterte said he promised three main objectives: to address problems on corruption, illegal drugs and criminality.
“My order to the military and police is to destroy the drug organization and criminality to control it. We are also dealing with corruption in government,” the President added.
Members of the Philippine National Police and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) equipped with warrants raided homes of alleged illegal drug personalities in Ozamiz City in Misamis Occidental.
The raids were on residences of the Parojinog political clan.
The raid on Mayor Reynaldo “Aldong” Parojinog Sr’s house resulted to his demise.
His wife Susan likewise died amid the raid.
Ozamiz Vice Mayor Nova Parojinog Echaves has also been arrested after a raid in San Roque Lawis, where authorities seized guns and shabu.
Echaves was brought to the provincial office of the CIDG after the arrest.
The raid in San Roque Lawis also brought about deaths of Barangay Peacekeeping Action Team and Civil Volunteer Organization members identified as Miguel del Victoria, Nestor Cabalan and a certain Vasquez.
Another BPAT member who was killed has yet to be distinguished.
The CIDG also raided City Councilor Ardot Parojinog’s home in Bagakay.
The councilor, a previous provincial board member, was far from his home when it was raided.
During the search five men were arrested as the police also seized firearms and drug paraphernalia.
Police seized a shotgun, three rocket propelled grenade launchers, two hand grenades, eight M-79 bullets and an M-79 rifle, shabu and drug paraphernalia from Councilor Parojinog’s residence.
Authorities also searched through the house of “Dodo”, the mayor’s son.
In February 2017, the Sandiganbayan requested the capture of Aldong and his daughter Echavez, regarding their graft case over the asserted anomalous awarding of a contract for the renovation of a gymnasium in 2008. They posted bail in the same month.
Aldong, who also confronted corruption allegations, had denied any connects to illegal drugs. He was the third mayor to be slaughtered under President Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody crackdown on drugs, which left more than 3,000 dead in reported gunfights with police and has been widely scrutinized by Western governments and human rights groups.
The officers were “met with volleys of fire from (the mayor’s) security, prompting the Philippine National Police personnel to retaliate,” Chief Superintendent Timoteo Pacleb said in a statement. He said that Aldong and six relatives and bodyguards died in his farm house. The mayor’s significant other was allegedly among the dead.
A year ago, police officers shot dead Albuera Chairman Rolando Espinosa Sr. inside a prison cell in Leyte, and seven days before that, another mayor and his nine bodyguards were gunned down allegedly amid a firefight on a street in Mindanao.
Last year as part of a shame campaign, all three mayors were among more than 160 officials Duterte named publicly as being linked to illegal drugs in August
Duterte has promised not to stop until, he stated, the last drug trafficker in country has been eliminated.
Manila, Philippines – Actor Piolo Pascual said he and son Iñigo became closer when the latter turned 18 because “we were finally able to share stories that my son felt ashamed to tell me before.”
“More than being a dad, I try to be a barkada (friend) to him. Now that I’m 40 and he’s almost 20, our relationship has become more solid. He gets to share things about his work and personal life with me, as well as his concerns,” said Piolo in an interview after the launch of Sun Life Financials’ newest collection of digital films, “Sun Shorts.”
Piolo said it was never hard being Iñigo’s father. “I’ve never had to lay a hand on him. He was never stubborn. He’s humble, and he listens. I didn’t have a hard time raising him at all,” the actor shared.
What makes Piolo sad is that he and Iñigo never get the opportunity to hang out much recently. “When he isn’t in school, he’s at work. Whenever I say he should spend more time with his father, he’d tell me that I was just like him when I was his age. He says he’s just following my footsteps, so I keep quiet.”
This is the reason Piolo anticipates Father’s Day on June 18. “When my own dad was still alive, we’d always prepare something for him. It’s a time when we can make our fathers feel truly special. Every year on that day, Iñigo would always do something very personal for me—like, he’d give me a card. I’m hoping to spend the whole day with him.”
On June 17, Piolo said he would be seen on “Maalaala Mo Kaya” as the generous father Ryan Arebuabo of Tondo, Manila, whose photo recently went viral after it was uploaded on Facebook. The photo demonstrates a skinny man watching over his two daughters while they eat fried chicken at a fast-food restaurant.
“I said ‘yes’ to it because it’s a nice story. What he did was very noble. I didn’t know that he went through so much in life. I had a hard time portraying the role,” Piolo said. “But his story is what the drama anthology is all about. It showcases stories that touch the hearts of Filipino viewers.”
At the Sun Life launch, former ABS-CBN president and “Maalaala Mo Kaya” host Charo Santos-Concio had been extremely vocal about needing to see Piolo work again with former onscreen partner Judy Ann Santos. Asked for his response, Piolo stated: “I’m just waiting for Juday’s availability. I’ve learned so much from working with her. We did a lot of TV soaps and films together. I owe her a lot. She sort of trained me, made me feel comfortable on the set.”
The actor added: “There’s a right time for everything. Nothing has changed between us. We will always be good friends. I’ll never cut my ties with Juday. It’s important for me to remember and be grateful to the people who have helped me along the way.”
The new foreign affairs secretary said that he would need to make adjustments taking after his conversion from a politician to a diplomat.
“I will continue to speak kung necessary but not in the political manner that was available to me in the Senate because as chief diplomat, kailangan ko rin isaalang-alang ‘yung departamento at yung relationships natin sa ibang bansa. So in other words, I will be using a different language, a more diplomatic language,” Cayetano said in an ambush interview.
Cayetano quoted his participation amid the Universal Periodic Review by the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Commission in Geneva, Switzerland a week ago as a sample of his diplomatic approach.
The senator led the Philippine delegation amid the review, displaying the human rights situation in the nation before member states of the UN.
“Nakita n’yo naman ‘yung pagpresent natin ng human rights record natin sa Geneva ‘di ba. We are able to say what the president wants to say but in a diplomatic setting and a diplomatic language,” Cayetano said.
President Rodrigo Duterte declared the appointment of Cayetano, his former running mate and close ally, instantly after the one-year ban on the appointment of losing bets in the May 9, 2016 elections was lifted.
The board earlier rejected the arrangement of Perfecto Yasay Jr. as secretary of foreign affairs after of lying about his citizenship status.
MANILA, Philippines — There is no relation between the current earthquake swarm in Batangas and the feared movement of the West Valley Fault that can bring about extensive damage in Metro Manila, the top state seismologist said.
Renato Solidum Jr, director of Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, said that there is no known reason for the series of earthquakes in Batangas last week except for movement in a fault system in the region. The quakes jolted close-by areas including Metro Manila.
“The faults or the earthquakes that have been happening all over the Philippines are related to faults in the area but the fault in Batangas and other areas are not connected at all to the West Vallley Fault so there will be no basis for saying that these earthquakes are precursors to the big earthquake in Metro Manila,” Solidum told ANC on Monday.
Referring to quakes in the Visayas area on Monday morning, Solidum said they don’t originate from the Batangas quakes.
“It could just mean that faults are moving, it does not mean anything in a sense of a pattern,” he said.
Solidum and his office have been cautioning the public about a damaging 7.2 magnitude earthquake produced by a movement of the West Valley Fault seen to affect the capital area. Nicknamed the “Big One,” the Metro Manila quake—like all other earthquakes—cannot be anticipated or determined yet but based on historical data; it is expected to occur over within the century.
An earthquake swarm which recently affected Batangas, meanwhile, may even extend to the following few days or week. Two earthquakes struck the area on April 4 and April 8, both followed by hundreds of aftershocks.
Solidum said that Phivolcs is closely observing the Batangas swarm for indications of tapering off.
“Essentially people are advised to just be prepared in case there are strong shocks to the precautionary measures that they are protected in case stronger earthquakes happen,” he said.